Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Did You Wake Up for Your Children in Gaza?

from a khutbah at Muslim Matters

We are all aware of the emphasis on brotherhood and unity in Islam. When you take a closer look at the Verses and Ahadith on the subject, there is an interesting point. Unity, brotherhood, and our compassion for our fellow Muslims are correlated to our Iman.
The Prophet (pbuh) said, “None of you truly believes till he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself.”
“The Muslim is one from whose tongue and hand the Muslims are safe.”
“He is not a believer, who goes to bed full, knowing that his neighbor is hungry.”
My treatment of others is a reflection of my Iman. My distress at the suffering of Muslims is an indication of the condition of my Iman. This is critical for us to understand not only in terms of our collective efforts to unify the Ummah, but also in our individual efforts to please Allah.
Now with more than 900 Muslims dead, almost 300 of them children and 100 women and over 4000 people injured, the question we all have to ask ourselves is:
What did I do about this and how did this impact me?


The importance and effectiveness of making Dua and asking Allah for his help is also known to everyone, and has been mentioned in other articles here. Have we taken full advantage of this powerful tool? I’ll go back to the original premise, if my own brother was sick or the lives of my own children were in danger, I would be up all night praying and crying before Allah, asking for his help and mercy. But how many times since this tragedy started did I wake up in the night and make Dua and beg Allah to shower his help and mercy upon the innocent people suffering?
So let’s start taking action for their sake and ours